Raigad and Ratnagiri are famous for its clay / pottery work. Multiple groups of artisans , self helps groups of women work day and night for livelihood. Women has traditionally engaging in the making of clay products.
These clay product is mostly utility product such as pan, cooking pot, stoves and idols. Around 400 women are involved in the production in multiple village. Generations of family are involved in this activity.
Here they do not use moulds for even bulk order. Everything is handmade, maxing clay, making dough and finishing product, they does not possesses kiln also for baking but do it by fire bursting.
Opportunities : At Raigad, women do not make product other than their traditional design. There is an opportunity to introduce women of modern methods of pottery. There is an opportunity to connect women to various government schemes to get extended support from various other means. This will help them to get financial support and technical support to expand business, enhance product quality, diversification of products.
Challenges : At cluster, the clay used is local clay which can allow to make a specific range product. The nature and the quality of the product does not allows too make any innovative product such as candle stand, wall hanging, jewelry because the products are
utility products, they are tend to bake the product over the period of usage during cooking.
As much as food is cooked in clay utensils it get bake over the period. No modern methods are used to make products which results in the time consuming especially for bulk orders and huge bulk orders are note cater some times
Cluster Progress |
Raigad - Clay Pot Making
In Ratnagiri district, multiple SHG and women entrepreneurs have small scale business .The Earthenware clay products that are currently produced are Clay Bottle, Clay Kettle, Clay Bowl, Clay Cup, Clay Plate, Clay Utensils, Clay Big/Small Bowl, Clay Glass, wall hanging, fridge magnets etc. This cluster is existing cluster which has well established market. The quality of clay and products is ensured. The Earthenware products are environment friendly and having great advantage for health.
Cluster Status :
- The SHG group has been formed and they intend to scale this cluster from 50 to 300 women. The cluster has basic facilities and few modern equipment but these equipment does not cater the market demand. At cluster there are equipment’s such jiggers, moulds, electric kiln, clay mixer, electric wheel, etc.
- SHG women are already engaged in production. There are three different types of clay are used in the product: two locally available and one from Karnataka.
- They are trained in mixing, product making, polishing, baking etc. women are getting livelihood on everyday basis.
- Cluster has well established market linkages. The products or goods made are export
to foreign countries such as Africa, Dubai etc. and parts of India
Opportunities at Cluster :
Women working in cluster are part of the SHGs however; they do not have institutional set up as Producer Group (PG). Since women are trained in the process of making the product and engaged in end to end product development, they can easily get exposed to
be an entrepreneur.
- Training in product designing, modern day products, utility products with contemporary art form.
- Support institutional set up and community facility center with equipment’s
- Exposure visits to successful SHG women entrepreneur, various manufacturing units, Dealers, wholesaler etc.
- Linking them with the various market opportunities,
government schemes, loan opportunities, etc.
Challenges at cluster-
- Convincing women to become active SHG member and form Producer Group. Women at Ratnagiri has bad experience within SHG, even though there are part of the SHG, they are not active enough to become an
entrepreneur and avail benefits from MSRLM.
- Product related challenge, Clay products are easy to break product. There is availability of storage but lack of measures to prevent breakage of the product which results in fall in to pieces especially in bulk orders hampers and cost.